Categorized | Latest news

BREAKING NEWS: FIVE REPORTED DEAD IN NEW TERROR ATTACK NEAR MPEKETONI

Breaking NewsThe BBC is reporting that at least five people have been killed in an attack on the Kenyan coast, near to Mpeketoni where raids last week led to the death of more than 60 people.

Local officials have said that that happened last night an armed gang descended on the village of Witu, about 15km (9 miles) from Mpeketoni. Lamu County Commissioner Stephen Ikua confirmed on Tuesday that there had been a new “unfortunate attack”.

Somali Islamist group al-Shabaab said it was behind last week’s raids on Mpeketoni, near Lamu but President Uhuru Kenyatta blamed local political groups. No group has as yet claimed responsibility for the latest attack.

EMERGENCY SECURITY MEETING

An emergency security meeting has been convened to assess the situation according to a Daily Nation reporter Mr Ikua.

The Reuters news agency quoted local village chief Kaviha Charo Karisa: “attackers used machetes and other crude weapons… the victims have cuts and injuries.”

KENYAN JETS STRIKE IN SOMALIA

In recent days Kenyan fighter jets launched renewed air strikes on the Al-Shabaab group’s bases in Somalia as part of an offensive by the African Union force. The air strikes on the villages of Anole and Kuday left more than 80 militants dead, although this has not been independently verified.

The Kenyan government has put out a warning urging people to watch World Cup matches at home rather than gathering in bars or others public places which might risk attack.

The Kenya Red Cross says about 600 households are now taking refuge in two camps after fleeing the violence around Mpeketoni.

Zimbabwe military press conference

Raila Odinga Speech at the CSIS Washington DC, USA

Archives

Calendar

June 2014
M T W T F S S
« May   Jul »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On Facebook