HIGH COURT SLAPS VOTER WITH SH 2M FOR WITHDRAWING PETITION AGAINST MALAVA MP

Malava MP Maulu Injendi

A petitioner challenging the election of Malava MP Maulu Injendi has withdrawn his case and has subsequently been slapped with a Sh 2 million fine in cost of litigation..

The petitioner, Ms Gilphine Omwenga, who is also the wife of FORD candidate Mr Burudi Manyasi who had contested and lost the parliamentary seat, voluntarily withdrew the case after the court struck out evidence contained in her affidavits.

Justice Janet Mulwa ruled that the petitioner had illegally obtained access to polling stations and tallying centers in the constituency, a conduct she observed bordered on an election offence under provisions of the election offences act, 2016.

“For the record, the petitioner is a trained lawyer and therefore expected to be knowledgeable in legal issues and provisions of the law including electoral laws and offences,” judge Mulwa said in her ruling.

The judge further ordered the petitioner to pay Sh 2 million in costs of litigation to the IEBC and the returning officer, me Isaac Rutto.

2017 Election Petitions

election petitions 2017

The August 2017 general elections have been characterized by a myriad of petitions challenging the election of current candidates who were declared winners by the IEBC in tkaruaheir respective seats.

As at January 12, 2018, there have been 10 dismissed petitions for governor, senator (3), woman representative (7), MP (17), MCA (51).

24 petitions on governors are pending in court, senators (12), woman rep (5), MP (81), MCA (86).

Machakos governor Alfred Mutua, Mike Sonko (Nairobi), Anne Waiguru (Kirinyaga), Prof Anyang’ Nyong’o ( Kisumu), Zacharia Okoth Obado (Migori).

The Kisumu High Court on third January dismissed a petition by former governor Jack Ranguma challenging the election of Governor Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o, citing lack of evidence.

Martha Karua has also moved to the court of appeal after a high court judge threw out her petition against the election of Anne Waiguru.

Last week, Wajir governor Mohamed Abdi became the first governor to have his election nullified following a petition by former governor Ahmed Abdullahi.

Abdi’s election has been nullified on grounds of irregularities

Presidential Petition

Nasa had also moved to the supreme court following the August poll to petition the election of Uhuru Kenyatta, which subsequently led the historic nullification of Uhuru’s victory.

 

Posted in Latest news

BREWERS FILE APPEAL TO HAVE KFCB BARRED FROM REGULATING ADs

Alcohol brewers have moved to court to appeal a ruling, which ordered that they should submit their advertisements to the Kenya film classification board for vetting before they run on TV.

The Alcoholic Beverages Association of Kenya (ABAK), in their appeal, argues that advertisements are not films and therefore regulating them is outside KFCB mandate.

“The judgment is extremely problematic in that it adopts a simplistic factual definition of film and adjudges television advertisements as audio-visual films,” said lawyer Peter Wanyama for the brewers.

In January last year, KFCB obtained court orders barring Kenya Breweries and other brewers from advertising beer and other alcoholic drinks during the watershed period (5 am to 10 pm).

The Ezekiel Mutua led board argued that there was a need to protect children from exposure to harmful content and that beer and alcoholic drinks adverts were not suitable for the watershed.

The ruling by Justice Joseph Mativo’s followed a case lodged by the Alcoholic Beverages Association of Kenya challenging the Kenya Film Classification Board’s (KFCB) mandate to regulate audio-visual commercials aired on radio and television.

In his ruling, the judge agreed with KFCB’s position that it was within its mandate to regulate the content of adverts, contrary to the position taken by the petitioners.

“The Kenya Information and Communication Act of 2013 (KICA) gives KFCB the mandate to monitor television stations in order to ensure that content meant for adult audiences is not aired during the watershed period,” Justice Joseph Mativo’s said.

 

 

 

Posted in Latest news

TWO YEARS AFTER EL-ADDE ATTACK

KDF pays tribute to El Adde attack fallen, soldiers

A commemoration of the Kenya Defence Force (KDF) soldiers killed in the 2016 El Adde attack, took place on Monday in a low key ceremony at the 9th Kenya riffles base at Moi barracks in Eldoret.

Only relatives of the fallen soldiers were allowed in the highly guarded military camp.

In January 17, 2016, Al-Shabaab ambushed a KDF base in El Adde, Somalia, leaving at least 63 soldiers dead, in an assault described as the worst in the military since Operation Linda Nchi was launched in 2011.

The Al-Shabaab reportedly used three vehicle-borne improvised devices (VBIED) commandeered by suicide bombers to attack both the KDF and the Somali National Army (SNA) camps.

Hostages

Several soldiers were also taken hostage (prisoners of war) by the terrorists and up to date, their whereabouts are unknown.

Two years later, questions still linger on what exactly transpired that fateful night as the government has never issued any official account surrounding the El Adde attack and the biggest question Kenyans have been asking is; just how many soldiers were killed that night and how many were taken as prisoners of war?

Al Shabaab Release Video on El Adde Attack

Three months after laying an ambush on KDF in the El Adde camp, Al Shabaab released a propaganda video of the attack.

In the 50 minute footage, the terrorists boasted of killing at least 100 soldiers. They showcased piles of military gear including vehicles, which they claimed to have seized from the KDF soldiers during the attack.

They went ahead to brandish national IDs of maimed soldiers, reading out their names with one of the terrorist boasting that the military uniform he donned and the rifle he held belonged to the soldier whose three names he pronounced in the video.

A captured soldier was also forced to plead with President Uhuru Kenyatta in the video to withdraw KDF from Somalia while another gave an account of how the attack took place.

MORE SURVIVORS OF MILITARY ATTACK ARRIVE IN NAIROBI

 

Posted in Latest news

PRESIDENT KENYATTA CONGRATULATES OLUNGA FOR HIS HAT TRICK IN LA LIGA

Michael Olunga, the former Gor Mahia player who is currently on loan at La Liga side Girona became the first Kenyan to score a hat trick in the spanish league after he helped his team beat rivals Las Palmas 6 goals to nil in an entertaining match.

He netted three times in 23 minutes after coming on from the bench in the second half of the game. He also became the first Girona player to score a hat trick in the top flight competition for the club.

Following Olunga’s landmark, president Kenyatta joined many Kenyans in congratulating the Harambee Stars player. “Congratulations Michael Olunga for making history as the first Kenyan footballer to score a goal in the Spanish La Liga; and the first player to score a hattrick for Girona FC in the Spanish top league. Continue flying the #MagicalKenya flag high,” he wrote on his official Facebook account.

Nasa leader, Raila Odinga also took to the social media with his congratulatory message. “Congratulations to Kenyan born Michael Olunga on becoming the first @GironaFC player to score a hat-trick in the Spanish #LaLigaSantander,” Odinga tweeted.

Posted in Latest news

UNIVERSITY DONS THREATEN TO DOWN TOOLS ONCE AGAIN

UASU secretary general Constantine Wasonga Wasonga

Lecturers in public universities have threatened to go on strike once again, over delayed negotiations between them and their employer over the 2017-2021 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

The lecturers have through their union, University Academic Staff Union (UASU), raised concern over failure by the Inter-Public Universities Councils Consultative Forum (IPUCCF) to adhere to their previously agreed return-to-work formula dated December 9, 2017.

UASU has particularly protested a decision by IPUCCF to push the start of negotiations from January 10 to January 15, saying it’s in total disregard of the return-to-work formula signed on December 9.

The IPUCCF letters reveal a lack of commitment to the agreed CBA negotiation calendar and show an intention to dishonour the clear provisions of the parties’ return-to-work formula in violation of Kenya’s Labour laws and the ILO Convention,” said UASU secretary general Constantine Wasonga Wasonga.

Wesonga further warns in a protest letter to IPUCCF that its actions are likely to provoke another strike.

“UASU promotes industrial harmony and it would be extremely unfortunate if actions by IPUCCF provoke a fresh round of industrial unrest from February 2018,” Wasonga said.

Last year the university dons downed their tools for 54 days, in a strike that paralyzed learning in public universities.

The university lecturers called off the strike after the government through the Inter Public Universities Consultative Council Forum (IPUCCF) awarded them a 17.5 and 3.9 per cent increment on basic salary and house allowances respectively. http://www.kenyaforum.net/2017/03/14/university-dons-resume-classes-aftre-54-day-strike/

 

Posted in Latest news

Michael Olunga scores a hat trick against Las Palmas

Archives

Calendar

January 2018
M T W T F S S
« Dec    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On Facebook