Allegations of Embezzlement of Ksh. 3,160,000 of Public Funds at Bumula Constituency Against Constituency Uwezo Fund Account Signatories.
Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) Quarterly Report 1st January to 31st March 2021.
Investigations by the EACC commenced following a complaint that there was embezzlement of Uwezo funds (Ksh. 3,160,000) by a Sub County Accountant, funds that were meant for Youth and Women Fund at Bumula Constituency, Bungoma County.
Investigations established that there were irregular withdrawals from the fund account amounting to Ksh. 3,160,000.
The investigations further established that Ksh. 3,160,000 was returned by the suspects through several deposits to the EACC’s recovery account at the Kenya Commercial Bank after the investigations were commenced.
On 1st February, 2021, a report was compiled and forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) with recommendations that the fund officials be charged with the following offences:
• One Count of conspiracy to commit an offence of corruption contrary to section 47 (A) (3);
• One Count of unlawful acquisition of public property contrary to section 45c (1) (a);
• Two Counts of abuse of office contrary to section 46;
• All as read together with section 48 of the ACEA;
• One Count of breach of trust by a person employed in public service contrary to section 127 (1) as read with section 127 (2) of the penal code.
On 13th April 2021, the DPP returned the file accepting recommendations for prosecution subject to further investigations being carried out.
Source: The Kenya Gazette, 2nd July, 2021.