Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) Quarterly Report 1st January to 31st March 2021 – Inquiry Into Allegations that the County Government of Kilifi Lost Ksh. 24,460,000 paid in three installments of Ksh. 8,820,000 to Mediscope Agencies.
At the invitation of the Kilifi County Government, the EACC investigated its procurement processes following an internal forensic audit conducted at the County that identified a possible loss of Ksh. 24,460,000 to Mediscope Agencies.
Irregular Tender Process
The EACC’s investigations established that an irregular tender process in the award of the tender to Mediscope Agencies for the purchase of 6,000 pieces of insecticide treated mosquito nets. The irregularities included: there was budgetary allocation, use of the wrong procurement method, falsification of records. Three unlawful payments amounted to Ksh. 26,460,000 were made to Mediscope Agencies for goods that were never delivered.
On 4th January 2021 a report was compiled and forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) with recommendations to charge the Proprietor of Mediscope Agencies and County Officials who participated in the procurement irregularities with the following offences:
- Three counts of conspiracy to commit an offence of corruption contrary to section 47 A (3);
- Three Counts of fraudulently making payments from public revenue contrary to section 45 (2) (a);
- Three Counts of abuse of office contrary to section 46;
- Three Counts of fraudulent acquisition of public property contrary to Section 45 (1);
- All as read together with Section 48 of the Anti-Crimes and Economic Crimes Act (ACECA);
- Two Counts of forgery contrary to Section 349 as read together with sections 345-348 of the Penal Code.
On 3rd March, 2021, the DPP returned the inquiry file and advised further investigations be conducted.
Source: The Kenya Gazette, 2nd July 2021 TAGS