The family of Alexander Monson is now more hopeful of getting justice for their kin, who died in a police cell in Diani under controversial circumstances in 2012, after an inquest concluded that the police had a hand in his death.
FOUR POLICEMEN TO BE CHARGED WITH MURDER OF BRITISH ARISTOCRAT’S SON
According to a statement from Alexander’s family, the judgement rendered on Thursday by Senior Principal Magistrate Richard Odenyo, who chaired the investigations, confirmed that Monson died of police brutality and the judge recommended that at least four police on duty the night he died be prosecuted.
“We very pleased to report that the verdict delivered this morning confirmed that Alexander’s death was an unlawful killing. The case will now transfer to the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) who will consider whether the policemen involved will be put on trial,” the statement reads in part.
Alexander Monson was arrested together with others in 2012, for allegedly being in possession of bhang and taken in custody.
According to witness accounts from Monson’s friends, who had been drinking with him the night he was arrested, as the Kenya Forum reported in a previous article, hours before his arrest he was alive and well outside of the Tandoor bar and club, where they had been drinking.
He was arrested around 2.30 am and held in custody. Overnight friends tried to bail him out, but were told to leave and get details including his passport.
On their return some 2 hours later Monson was found on the floor unconscious and gray.
By the time he reached Palm Beach Hospital he had been unconscious for 90mins.
He was handcuffed to the stretcher. Alexander Monson died of cardio-respiratory arrest 5hrs later.
The police maintained that he had died of drugs over dose but two postmortem results would later reveal that he had actually died of a trauma at the back of his head.
Nicholas Monson accused the police of misleading the medics to focus on treating his son of drugs overdose when his life could have been saved if they knew about the injury at the bacak of his head.
Following an outcry from Monson’s family and pressure from the UK to the Kenyan government, a special team was set up to investigate Monson’s mysterious death.
“The process is still not over for us but we are closer to justice. We hope this will help encourage the thousands of others who have been affected by police brutality in Kenya and all over the world.
It has been a gruelling six years but we could not be more pleased with this outcome and thank our team of lawyers, experts, the brave and tireless activists from human rights organisation HAKI and everyone who has supported us,” Monson’s family said.
British High Commissioner to Kenya Nic Hailey lauded the verdict and said his government would continue supporting the Monson’s family until they get justice for their son.
“Welcome the clear conclusion of the inquest into the death of Alexander Monson. I look forward to quick & thorough further investigations by the Kenyan authorities. UKinKenya has been supporting Mr Monson’s family since his death in 2012 & will continue to do all we can for them,”