The National examination council (KNEC) has cancelled the results of 1,205 candidates who sat for the 2017 KCSE.
The candidates whose KCSE results have been canceled are from nine out of ten examination centers which had been under investigations for engaging in exam malpractice.
While announcing the results of the 2017 KCSE exams, Education CS Fred Matiang’i had revealed that they had withheld results of 10 schools that had been suspected to have been involved in exam malpractice.
According to exams council chairman Professor George Magoha, 64 centers were reported to have engaged in exam malpractice. 11 candidates were found with mobile phones and nine with unauthorized materials in examination rooms.
“It’s amazing that in some cases the candidates had written the right answers before canceling them to write wrong answers they received from teachers who colluded with them,” Magoha said.
Magoha has said that the affected candidates can re-register to re-sit for KCSE this year in schools of their choice before the February 28 registration deadline.
40 teachers were also reportedly involved in KCSE exam irregularities and will face disciplinary action by their employer, the Teachers’ Service Commission (TSC).