Director of criminal investigations George Kinoti has announced that his office has reopened investigations into the 2007-08 Post Election Violence (PEV) that left more than 1,100 people killed.
According to Kinoti, the investigation was reopened following complaints by several communities that are being profiled and intimidated amid rising political temperatures in the country.
Majority of the complaints of harrasments are reportedly from victims of the 2007-08 post election violence.
“We will not let it happen again,” said George Kinoti, the Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI), “we have received numerous complaints and we are acting on them.”
Kinoti further announced that 118 cases had been recorded, including 72 by people whose relatives were killed in the post-election violence and were still receiving threats.
Kinoti was speaking during a press briefing at the DCI Headquarters on Monday, where more than 150 people, mainly from Rift Valley-the epicenter of the 2007-08 election violence, recorded statements.
Political leaders allied to DP William Ruto slam Kinoti over revival of post-election violence cases
Politicians aligned to Deputy president William Ruto have however condemned Kinoti’s decision to re-open the post election violence cases, saying its a witchhunt aimed at intimidating William Ruto to back down on his presidential ambitions.
The politicians accused the DCI of being used by the state to fuel ethnic animosity in Rift Valley ahead of the 2022 General Election.
“When you see their hatchet Man Kinoti trying to raise tensions and incite communities against each other you know they are desperate! Hope they don’t kill people, burn houses to justify Kinoti’s statements,” Nakuru Senator Susan Kihika said in a tweet.