The Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) has said that there are no traces of mercury in the samples of contraband sugar seized by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).
According to Managing Director Charles Ongwae, who was speaking before the Senate Trade Committee on Thursday, heavy metals test carried on the samples by KEBS showed zero mercury contamination in the sugar.
“The sugar samples were tested against EAS 749:210, the sugar samples were further tested for heavy metals contaminants as a result of public outcry and no mercury was detected. I want to be very specific that no mercury has been detected in the samples that we have tested,” he said.
WHO IS FOOLING WHO?
The KEBS, account contradicts the revelations made by Interior CS Fred Matiang’i last week that the DCI had impounded contraband sugar laced with mercury and copper.
Last week, 1,365 bags of contraband Sugar were confiscated in a Warehouse in Ruiru and another more than 3,000 bags were seized in Eastleigh, Nairobi.
The contraband sugar is said to contain high levels of mercury and moisture, making it unfit for human consumption.
“It is unfortunate some characters are making abnormal profits from selling poisonous and injurious products to Kenyans,” Matiang’i said.
His industrialization counterpart, Adan Mohammed has also denied the mercury allegations by Matiang’i and asked anyone with evidence to bring it fourth.
Adan was speaking while answering questions from MPs in the Trade and Investment committee, chaired by Kanini Kega.
“Tests carried out by KEBS did not find any form of toxic metal as claimed. I however call on anyone with contrary information to alert the authorities,” he said.
The government has embarked on a crack down of what they say is contraband sugar, unfit for human consumption. but a section of Kenyans are interpreting the scandal as sugar cartel wars that have no public interest at heart.