The Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC) has said that it’s scrutinizing 30 schools in cheating hotspots across the country to ensure that they do not engage in exam malpractices.
“The cartels of examination in this country are very intricate, we are strictly focusing on several schools across Kisii, Meru, Garissa and several other counties, “said KNEC Chairperson George Magoha.
Magoha said he would not reveal the names so that they don’t create panic among students. He however singled out West Pokot and cautioned education officials, parents and students in the region to keep off attempts to cheat in the coming national examinations.
“Allow me not to mention those schools because I want to give them room for change and it’s not our intention to cause panic to our students in those schools, “he said.
KNEC further warned that schools found engaging in exam cheating would be closed and the examination suspended.
BEWARE OF FAKE EXAM PAPERS ONLINE –KNEC WARNS
Basic Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang also warned candidates and parents against falling prey to fake examination papers doing rounds on social media.
“We are aware that some people are falling into the trap that they can raise money to buy exam papers. Parents, let’s give children time to prepare for examinations,” said Kipsang.
Both the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) and the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) will kick off next month.
KNEC has announced that 64,758 invigilators and 27,025 supervisors will be deployed to administer the KCPE examinations, which will be marked by 5,834 examiners.
Another 36,622 invigilators and 10,183 supervisors will be deployed to administer the KCSE exams, which will be marked by 23,713 examiners.
1,205 KCSE 2017 RESULTS CANCELLED OVER CHEATING
Last year KNEC canceled the results of 1,205 candidates who sat for the 2017 KCSE over exam cheating.
Professor George Magoha then said that 64 centers were reported to have engaged in exam malpractice. 11 candidates were also allegedly found with mobile phones and nine with unauthorized materials in examination rooms.
The affected candidates were allowed to re-register to re-sit for KCSE this year in schools of their choice before the February 28 registration deadline.