Kiambu Governor Waititu a 15 million cash bail and ordered him to surrender all his travel documents with the court.
Waititu has also been ordered to keep off his Kiambu County Government office until the case is heard and determined. His lawyer, Tom Ojienda, has however said they will appeal the ruling made by Anti-Corruption Court magistrate Lawrence Mugambi, saying the bail conditions are punitive.
“This Court will grant bail to the following accused persons and impose the following conditions: the first accused shall not access his office until this criminal case is heard and determined,” the magistrate ruled.
County employees who have also been charged alongside the governor have also been barred from accessing the office as well.
“Equally accused persons who are employees of the County Government will not access their offices during the dependency of this case,” he said.
Waititu’s wife Susan Wangari was also released on a cash bail of Sh4 million or bond of Sh10 million.
The governor was arrested on Monday arrested and charged with 6 counts over the 588 million shillings corruption scandal in his County.
Kiambu Deputy Governor James Nyoro is expected to take over.
The Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Noordin Haji on Friday ordered for the arrest of Waititu, his wife and 8 other suspects over the scandal.
The decision to bar Waititu follows a ruling issued last week by Justice Mumbi Ngugi who upheld a magistrate’s decision to bar Samburu Governor Moses Kasaine from office until a corruption case against him is heard and determined.