After a successful premier last year, Cheka Awards, the country’s first ever pure comedy awards is here for the second edition and the organizers are promising a much bigger and better event.
Washington Juma, CEO, Visionaire Entertainment, has intimated that this year, in addition to the trophies and other goodies that winners will take home, they will also be hosted at an exclusive party at the Meladen Club in Upper Hill after the event.
The nominees for the 2014 Cheka Awards were unveiled four weeks ago at a glamorous event at the Intercontinental Hotel and voting kicked off. The winners for the comedy awards are decided upon by the public through voting via Short Messaging Services (SMS). To vote for your favourite contestant, SMS their code to 2050. Voting closes by midday on 29th August 2014.
The galla night is scheduled to go down in a glamorous red carpet event at the 680 hotel on Friday 29th August.
Cheka Awards seeks to crown the best in the comedy industry, which has now become a force to reckon with. The competitive categories for these year’s awards are 23 but the organizers have stated that they have an additional three ‘surprise categories’.
- Comedy King 2014 12. Comedy Queen 2014
- Best Male Stand-up Comedian 13 Best Female Stand-up Comedian
- Best TV Male Sit-Comedian 14. Best TV Female Sit-Comedian
- Best Female Radio Comedian 15. Best Male Radio Comedian
- Best Vernacular Radio Comedian 16. Best New Comedian
- Most Comic Swahili Radio Show 17. Most Comic English Radio Show
- Best TV Sit-com Show 18. Best TV Stan-up Comedy Show
- Most Comic Article Writer 19. Most Comic Cartoonist
- Best TV Comedy Director 20. Best Stage Comedy Director
- Most Comic TV Advert 21. Most Comic Radio Advert
- Best TV Prank Show 22. Best Stage Comedy Production
Last year, Otoyo and Zulekha were crowned king and queen of comedy respectively with Eric Omondi clinching the Best Stand Up Comedian award. Will these ‘rib-crackers’ defend their title?