For a long time it’s been widely said that Africans don’t read, which informed the common saying; “If you want to hide something from an Africa, put it in a book”.
Well, as revealed by one of Kenya’s top booksellers, Mr. Chan Bahal, proprietor of the Bookstop at Yaya Center, Kenyans love books and are reading a lot.
Mr. Chan further reveals that there are some particular authors who are just popular in the country and their books have been flying out of the shelves, year in year out.
These include Nigeria’s novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Khaleed Hussein and Malcom Gladwell.
“They are always high on the lists, they don’t stop selling because again every six months there is like a new generation of readers that come up and they also want to read these same books because they have heard about them,” he said.
The numerous book clubs that exist in the country have also played a key role in encouraging the reading culture as well as in giving books publicity and recommendations.
Below is the list of the top most read books in Kenya in 2018…so far
NB: the list is not in any particular order.
- BORN A CRIME-Trevor Noah
- FACTFULLNESS -Rosling
- THE NEW CONFESSIONS OF AN ECONOMIC HITMAN –John Perkins
- THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A FUCK – Mark Manson
- RISE AND GRIND – Daymond John
- DEEP WORK – Cal Newport
- WAR ON PEACE – Ronan Farrow
- BAD SAMARITANS – Ha-Joon Chang
- BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE- Eric Barker
- THE FOURTH INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION –Klaus Shwab
- LIFE AND WORK-Prince Dalio