The government has deployed the Kenya Defence Forces KDF to secure six counties in northern Kenya from banditry.
President William Ruto on Monday ordered a joint security exercise between the National Police Service and the Kenya Defence Forces against banditry in the troubled region that includes Elgeyo Marakwet, Baringo, Turkana, West Pokot, Turkana, Samburu and Laikipia.
Defence CS Adan Dwale has already gazetted the involvement of KDF in the security operation.
George Natembeya, Governor Trans Nzoia: said political leaders in the region should come out strongly to support the security operation instead of taking sides with their communities as has been the case in the past.
“Some of the politicians are culprits because they finance and support banditry for political gains. This time they should come out openly and stand with the government in ensuring the security operation succeeds,” he said.
So far 100 civilians and 16 police officers have been killed by the bandits in the region within the last six months according to Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki.
Kindiki, who has termed the security situation in the region a National Emergency, has also declared a dusk-to-dawn curfew in the six counties, which starts on February 14, 2022.
“During the attacks, hundreds of Kenyans have been displaced from their homes. The government has determined the security situation currently prevailing in the Northern Rift Valley Region as a National Emergency. Accordingly, painful and decisive measures must be taken effective immediately,” Interior CS Kithure Kindiki said in a statement.